Solsavi is a rooftop solar calculator tool. It utilises the latest state-specific solar policies and solar metering mechanisms to propose a rooftop solar system with or without battery energy storage, according to the user’s priority. The tool also provides the solar PV benchmark costs (per kW) as per the Ministry of New and Renewable Energy and the per unit (per kWh) capital cost for battery technology from relevant Industry research. It undertakes an economic analysis for 25 years.
The user enters information such as pin code (to retrieve irradiation data for the location), consumer category, voltage type, monthly electricity consumption and desired solar metering mechanism. The application can optimise the system capacities for best returns on investment based on the energy requirements, or allow the user to customise the system according to their pattern of energy consumption and billing. Solsavi then generates a report with details on total expected solar energy generation, potential savings, investment details etc.
Why use Solsavi?
Solsavi is a free online tool for calculating the feasibility of installing rooftop solar systems, which is unique in 3 key ways:
- It provides in-depth analysis over 25 years.
- It functions with the latest state-wise solar policy, regulations and tariffs.
- It provides the option of including battery storage
The tool provides an initial assessment for the rooftop solar installation and offers insights on economic parameters such as payback period, return on investment and annual potential savings.
Developed by Auroville Consulting, Solsavi uses the weather information from an existing database provided by National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) and further optimises the size of solar panel and battery system based on maximising the potential savings from the proposed investment in rooftop solar. The analysis is carried out using the open source python script for System Advisor Model (SAM) from NREL.
- 25 year economic analysis – considers replacement of battery and inverter
- Provides a detailed analysis of the generation, consumption and export of solar energy
- Offers a choice of battery technology with relevant economic assumptions
- Suggestion of optimised solar panel and battery storage size based on economic feasibility of the project
- Financial indicators such as payback years and return on investment to aid in investment decision